Taylor in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Presbyterian Church of Taylor
The history of this church can be traced to 1876, when a Presbyterian congregation here was closely associated with the Presbyterian church in Georgetown. The Rev. John McMurray led both congregations, and the earliest written recognition of the Taylor church appears in 1878 denominational records.
Trustees for the church purchased this property in March 1878, and a frame sanctuary was completed by Thanksgiving of that year. A school operated by the Rev. Mr. McMurray was located across the street.
The Rev. James P. Lyle was called as the church’s first full-time pastor in 1889. About a year later a home was built on the church property to house the pastor’s family, but it was destroyed in a 1900 fire.
Denominational records began to refer to this congregation as First Presbyterian Church of Taylor in 1895, following the establishment of a Cumberland Presbyterian church the previous year. The two congregations were merged about 1910 and retained the First Presbyterian Church name. The need for a larger facility soon arose, and a new brick sanctuary was built in 1912–1913.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1878.
Location. 30° 34.349′ N, 97° 24.642′ W. Marker is in Taylor, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on West 6th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 114 W 6th St, Taylor TX 76574, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Christian Church of Taylor (within shouting distance of this marker); City of Taylor (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bill Pickett (about 600 feet away); Tex Avery (about 700 feet away); Taylor Post Office (about 700 feet away); Preslar-Hewitt Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Eikel-Prewitt Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Taylor Public Schools (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Taylor.
Also see . . . First Presbyterian Church of Taylor. Williamson County Historical Commission (Submitted on February 25, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 12, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,541 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 12, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide area photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?