Omaha in Douglas County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Morse Coe Building
The Old Market Historic Walking Tour
Architects Findley and Shields designed this five-story brick, built in 1892-93 for $40,000. Footwear wholesalers W.V. Morse & Co. and Charles A. Coe and Company combined to manufacture a thousand shoes daily here, with sales focused on the western half of the country. By 1900, Morse had taken over the business and used the first three floors for wholesale boot business and rented the upper floors to the Byrne and Hammer Dry Goods Company for the manufacture of textiles. Throughout the years, the upper levels served as warehouse space for several wholesale commodities, including coffee, groceries, and draperies. Manufacturers and wholesalers occupied the lower levels, among them Brady-Lewis Manufacturing Co., the maker of Oma-alls. They were also producers of furniture, window shades, and veterinary supplies. In the 1950's, Mayfair Textiles, a wholesale distributor of fabrics became associated with the building, later expanding to showcase a retail business on the lower levels. When that business moved west in 1999, the building was redesignated for luxury apartments, preserving the historic integrity of the structure and including the original
Erected by The Old Market.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1900.
Location. 41° 15.322′ N, 95° 55.889′ W. Marker is in Omaha, Nebraska, in Douglas County. Marker is at the intersection of Howard Street and 12th Street, on the right when traveling east on Howard Street. The building is now home to The Mayfair, an apartment complex. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1123 Howard Street, Omaha NE 68102, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Omaha Firehouse 1903-1904 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Millard Block 1880-1881 (about 400 feet away); Baum Iron Company Building 1880 (about 600 feet away); Windsor Hotel (about 600 feet away); J.P. Cooke Building 1885-1889 (about 600 feet away); Anheuser-Busch Beer Depot 1887 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Skinner Macaroni Building 1914-1915 (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Omaha Bolt, Nut and Screw Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Omaha.
Also see . . . History of the Old Market (Walking Tour). The Old Market website entry (Submitted on December 2, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 908 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 3, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A clearer image of the marker. • Can you help?