High Point in Guilford County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Plank Road Foreman
In the 1840’s and 1850’s construction was commenced on the 130 mile plank road from Fayetteville to Salem. This intersection of the Fayetteville and Western Plank Road with the North Carolina Railroad resulted in a settlement that grew to become known as High Point.
[ Left Side Marker: ]
David A. Dowdy, Jr.
Plank Road Foreman Statue Committee
Through efforts of the following High Pointers, the “Plank Road Foreman” can now be shared, enjoyed and remembered for many generations to come:
Aaron N. Clinard James H. Millis, Sr.
David A. Dowdy, Jr. James “Jim” F. Morgan
Erected 2004 by Plank Road Foreman Statue Committee.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles.
Location. 35° 57.443′ N, 80° 0.352′ W. Marker is in High Point, North Carolina, in Guilford County. Marker is at the intersection of N Main Street (U.S. 311 BUS) and W High Avenue, on the right when traveling south on N Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: High Point NC 27265, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. High Point (here, next to this marker); Plank Road (a few steps from this marker); Confederate Arms Factory (within shouting distance of this marker); High Point Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this Revolutionary War Patriots (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp Fisher (approx. 0.2 miles away); Guilford Technical Community College (approx. 0.4 miles away); Confederate Soldiers Monument (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in High Point.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 4, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 835 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 4, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.