Salt Lake City in Salt Lake County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
167-169 Regent Street
In 1893 a two-story structure was built by Gustav S. Holmes at 167 Regent Street and in 1899 a similar structure was built by Stephen Hayes at 169 Regent Street. The second floor of each building was a “parlor house,” so named because prostitutes ordinarily received their customers in a common parlor or sitting room. The large center room was surrounded by 10 rooms, or “cribs,” just large enough for a bed, wash stand, dresser, and a chair or two. The architect of the site at 169 Regent
Commercial Street, now known as Regent Street, is the center for publishing of Salt Lake City’s two daily newspapers. Presses have been running on the street since the early 1900’s.
Erected 1990 by Newspaper Agency Corporation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Entertainment. A significant historical year for this entry is 1871.
Location. 40° 45.909′ N, 111° 53.376′ W. Marker is in Salt Lake City, Utah, in Salt Lake County. Marker is on Regent Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 167 Regent Street, Salt Lake City UT 84111, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Herald Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Salt Lake Herald Building (about 400 feet away); First National Bank Building (about 400 feet away); Great Salt Lake City Station (about 400 feet away); Morgan Commercial & Normal College (about 600 feet away); The Old Clock (about 800 feet away); Eagle Emporium Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Capitol Theatre (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salt Lake City.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 25, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,812 times since then and 7 times this year. Last updated on September 5, 2010, by Bryan R. Bauer of Kearns, Ut 84118. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 26, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.