Monroe in Green County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First Methodist Episcopal Church
The First Methodist Episcopal congregation began building this church in 1869 to replace an earlier church built in 1843. The parsonage was completed in 1886 and the congregation dedicated the completed church in 1887.
The church is Monroe's finest late-Gothic Revival building, a European-inspired style popularized in America as ecclesiastical. The church's steep roof, the tall and narrow pointed-arch windows, and elaborate window tracery are stylistic hallmarks. The rose window on the front facade, composed of tear-shaped stained glass panels, is its most striking feature. The church's decorative brickwork and angled corner tower are hallmarks of its architect, Edward Townsend Mix.
Edward Townsend Mix (1831-1890) designed this church at the height of his career. Born in Connecticut, he trained in the New Haven office of church architect Sidney Mason Stone. Mix moved to Milwaukee in 1856. He practiced independently from 1857-1881 and in his own firm of Mix & Co. from 1881-1890. Mix was Wisconsin's State Architect from 1864-1867. Widely known throughout the Midwest, Mix designed many prominent
The non-profit Monroe Arts Center, formed to purchase the building, took ownership in 1976, and opened the building to the community with performances and exhibitions.
Erected 2007 by the Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 514.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1869.
Location. 42° 36.075′ N, 89° 38.568′ W. Marker is in Monroe, Wisconsin, in Green County. Marker is at the intersection of 11th Street and 13th Avenue, on the left when traveling east on 11th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1315 11th Street, Monroe WI 53566, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Green County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); World Trade Center South Tower (approx. 0.3 miles away); Central House (approx. 9.2 miles away in Illinois); People's State BankLake Montesian (approx. 10.2 miles away); Nickolaus Gerber (approx. 10.2 miles away); The Old Lead Road (approx. 12.9 miles away).
Also see . . . Monroe Arts Center. (Submitted on September 10, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
Additional keywords. Architecture
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 7, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 813 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 8, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.