Corrigan in Polk County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Town of Corrigan
When the Texas & New Orleans Railroad was built through area in the early 1880s, a prosperous timber-based economy developed here. The town was named for T. & N.O. official, Pat Corrigan.
In 1884 the Trinity & Sabine Timber Company platted town, and soon a hotel, blacksmith shop, several stores, and a 10-pin (bowling) alley appeared. Today lumber, ranching, and farming undergird economy.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10389.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
Location. 30° 59.956′ N, 94° 49.622′ W. Marker is in Corrigan, Texas, in Polk County. Marker is at the intersection of North Home Street (U.S. 59) and Ben Franklin Street, on the right when traveling south on North Home Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Corrigan TX 75939, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within First Baptist Church (approx. 5½ miles away); Moscow (approx. 5½ miles away); Texas Statesman William Pettus Hobby (approx. 5½ miles away); Moscow Male and Female Academy (approx. 5.6 miles away); E.C. Matthews Home (approx. 5.6 miles away); John Wesley Hardin (1853-1895) (approx. 7.2 miles away); Emporia (approx. 12.2 miles away); First Methodist Church of Diboll (approx. 12.7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 8, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 791 times since then and 146 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 8, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.