Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Tuscaloosa in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Castle Hill - Daly Bottom Community

 
 
Castle Hill - Daly Bottom Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, September 5, 2010
1. Castle Hill - Daly Bottom Community Marker
Inscription.  In 1883 the Castle Hill Real Estate and Manufacturing Company began the first eastern expansion of the original 1821 Tuscaloosa city limits. Hoping to stimulate development in the area, the company created a popular amusement park centered around and artificial lake. Portions of this property had belonged to Delaware Jackson, a freed slave who had been given the land for courage and loyalty. In 1881 Jackson organized the Bethel Baptist Church and, in 1917, he donated nearby land for the Baptist Academy, a community school. The name was changed to the Tuscaloosa County Training School for Negroes and later to the Castle Hill Elementary School. “Daly Bottom,” the area at the base of the hill closest to the University of Alabama was named for landowner Rafe A. Daly. The Castle Hill / Daly Bottom neighborhood gave birth to Bethel Baptist, Tenth Street Baptist, and two Methodist churches including Tabernacle AME Zion. Many of its residents later distinguished themselves in many walks of life.
 
Erected 1998 by Alabama Historical Association.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed
Castle Hill - Daly Bottom Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, September 5, 2010
2. Castle Hill - Daly Bottom Community Marker
in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & ReligionEducationIndustry & Commerce.
 
Location. 33° 12.35′ N, 87° 32.15′ W. Marker is in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, in Tuscaloosa County. Marker is on Paul W Bryant Drive east of 2nd Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Marker located across from the entrance to the University of Alabama School of Law Campus. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tuscaloosa AL 35401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The University of Alabama School of Law (within shouting distance of this marker); Sigma Alpha Epsilon (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bryce Hospital (approx. half a mile away); Druid City Hospital School Of Nursing (approx. half a mile away); Site Of The Stand In The Schoolhouse Door / Foster Auditorium, 1939 (approx. half a mile away); Malone Hood Plaza (approx. half a mile away); University of Alabama’s Slavery Apology (approx. 0.6 miles away); Smith Hall, 1908 (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tuscaloosa.
 
Paul W. Bryant Drive and Druid City Hospital image. Click for full size.
By Tim & Renda Carr, September 5, 2010
3. Paul W. Bryant Drive and Druid City Hospital
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 8, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,146 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 8, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 12, 2020