Tuscaloosa in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The University of Alabama School of Law
The University of Alabama School of Law was accredited by the American Bar Association in 1926 and has been a member of the Association of American Law Schools since 1928. At the beginning of the 21st century, the Law School offers a broad curriculum taught by a well-qualified faculty. High academic and diversity standards have assured an outstanding student body. Student academic achievement is recognized by admission to the Order of the Coif, selection to the staffs of three journals published by the Law School, participation in six moot
One of the Law School’s most celebrated alumni is U.S. Supreme Court Justice Hugo L. Black (Class of 1906), whose home office and personal library, donated by his family, are replicated in the school’s Bounds Law Library. Named for Donald Richard Bounds, Jr. and Russell Hampton Bounds, the library also houses the Howell T. Heflin Conference Room and the John C. Payne Special Collections Room. Graduates include numerous, state and federal judges, seven state governors, nine U.S. Senators, thirty-one U.S. Representatives, and numerous state legislators, academics, leaders of the bar, and corporate executives. Private support is provided by loyal alumni and friends through the Law Alumni Association, the Farrah Law Society, and the Law School Foundation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Government & Politics. A significant historical year for this entry is 1872.
Location. 33° 12.317′ N, 87° 32.167′ W. Marker is in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, in Tuscaloosa County. Marker is on Paul W. Bryant Drive east of 2nd Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tuscaloosa AL 35401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Castle Hill - Daly Bottom Community (within shouting distance of this marker); Sigma Alpha Epsilon (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site Of The Stand In The Schoolhouse Door / Foster Auditorium, 1939 (approx. half a mile away); Malone Hood Plaza (approx. half a mile away); Druid City Hospital School Of Nursing (approx. half a mile away); Bryce Hospital (approx. half a mile away); University of Alabama’s Slavery Apology (approx. 0.6 miles away); The President's Mansion (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tuscaloosa.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 8, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,191 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 8, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.