Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Rockvale in Rutherford County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Salem Church

 
 
Salem Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Gillard, September 5, 2010
1. Salem Church Marker
Inscription.  In small groups known as societies, early settlers held worship services in their homes. Several months before the Tennessee Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church was organized, in 1812 the Revs. Thomas King and John Manley established the Salem Church in the home of Thomas Jarratt. On this site the Jarratt Society built a log house of worship in 1814. Two years later, Robert Smith deeded the land to the Salem Methodist Church. Handmade bricks replaced the logs in 1834. Rebuilt in 1903, the present edifice incorporates an original brick wall within its facade.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3A 196.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1812.
 
Location. 35° 48.562′ N, 86° 28.676′ W. Marker is near Rockvale, Tennessee, in Rutherford County. Marker is on Old Salem Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rockvale TN 37153, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles
Salem Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Gillard, September 5, 2010
2. Salem Church Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Murfreesboro / Rutherford County (approx. 2.9 miles away); Murfreesboro (approx. 4.3 miles away); George Smith Patton, Jr. (approx. 4½ miles away); In Memory of Benjamin Liddon (approx. 4.6 miles away); Fields of Fire (approx. 4.7 miles away); Lunette Palmer (approx. 4.7 miles away); Battle at Stones River (approx. 4.7 miles away); Benevolent Cemetery (approx. 4.8 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 8, 2010, by Tom Gillard of Tullahoma, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 776 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 8, 2010, by Tom Gillard of Tullahoma, Tennessee. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=35484

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Mar. 25, 2023