Salt Lake City in Salt Lake County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Also Known as the Staines-Jennings Mansion
Portions of the house date from 1855, only eight years after the first arrival of the Mormon pioneers in Salt Lake Valley. Extensively added to and remodeled in the 1870's, the Devereaux House estate featured the mansion, extensive ornamental gardens, a kitchen garden, hothouses, vineyards, orchards, stables, and a carriage house.
Owner William Jennings was a patron of the arts and furnished the interior with items collected during trips throughout the United States and abroad.
The coming of the railroad later turned this part of Salt Lake City into a commercial and industrial area, and for many years the mansion stood as a forlorn shell of its former glory.
On March 1, 1971 the Devereaux House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places and, in 1978, the Utah State Legislature purchased the property for future
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 40° 46.168′ N, 111° 54.05′ W. Marker is in Salt Lake City, Utah, in Salt Lake County. Marker is on South Temple Street, on the right when traveling west. The marker is located at the sidewalk on South Temple in front of the mansion. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 340 West South Temple Street, Salt Lake City UT 84103, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Staines and William Jennings (here, next to this marker); Transcontinental Railroad (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dr. Martha Hughes Cannon (approx. ¼ mile away); Westgate Fine Arts Center (approx. 0.3 miles away); Crane Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Morrison-Merrill Lumber Company (approx. 0.3 miles away); Henderson Block Henderson Block (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salt Lake City.
More about this marker. The mansion was also known as the Staines-Jennings mansion after the man who built the initial two-story structure and the man who expanded it into a mansion.
See Nearby Marker "William Staines and William Jennings" for additional information.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 16, 2010, by Bryan R. Bauer of Kearns, Ut 84118. This page has been viewed 1,000 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 16, 2010, by Bryan R. Bauer of Kearns, Ut 84118. 2. submitted on April 15, 2019, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. 3, 4. submitted on September 16, 2010, by Bryan R. Bauer of Kearns, Ut 84118. 5. submitted on September 18, 2010. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.