Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Salt Lake City in Salt Lake County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

L.D.S. Tenth Ward Square

 
 
L.D.S. Tenth Ward Square Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 19, 2007
1. L.D.S. Tenth Ward Square Marker
Inscription.  As a result of the organization of the original 19 wards of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints “Mormons” in Salt Lake City on February 22, 1849, ward squares or blocks were created on which the public buildings for each ward were constructed. Of the original squares, only the Tenth Ward Square retains the buildings which served the settlers’ spiritual, economic, cultural and education needs. Still standing are the 1873 meeting house, the first building used exclusively for religious purposes; the third schoolhouse, built in 1887 and one of the earliest known designs of Richard K. Kletting, prominent architect and Mormon immigrant of 1883; the late Gothic revival church constructed in 1909; and the Tenth Ward store built in 1880. The store is connected to a house which was built in the 1890s by Adam Speirs, bishop and proprietor of the store. Originally the Tenth Ward was bounded by Sixth East on the west, the foothills on the east, Third South on the north and Sixth South on the south. The First Bishopric of the Tenth Ward consisted of: David Pettegrew, Bishop, with Daniel Tyler, First Counselor and Sanford Porter, Second
Tenth Ward Meeting House, 1873 image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 18, 2007
2. Tenth Ward Meeting House, 1873
Counselor. All three of these men were members of the Mormon Battalion.
 
Erected by Utah State Historical Society. (Marker Number N-159.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers.
 
Location. 40° 45.624′ N, 111° 52.106′ W. Marker is in Salt Lake City, Utah, in Salt Lake County. Marker is at the intersection of 800 East and 400 South (Utah Highway 186), on the right when traveling south on 800 East. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 420 S 800 East, Salt Lake City UT 84102, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lone Cedar Tree (approx. 0.3 miles away); B'nai Israel Temple (approx. 0.6 miles away); Sisters of the Holy Cross (approx. 0.7 miles away); Congregation Montefiore (approx. 0.7 miles away); Liberty Park (approx. 0.8 miles away); Trinity African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); 20th Ward Meetinghouse (approx. 0.9 miles away); First Presbyterian Church Salt Lake City (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salt Lake City.
 
Regarding L.D.S. Tenth Ward Square. The Tenth Ward Store and attached Proprietor's House built around 1900 have been demolished to provide added parking.

This location is on the
East face of the Tenth Ward School image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 18, 2007
3. East face of the Tenth Ward School
National Register of Historic Places.
 
South Side of Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Bryan R. Bauer, September 17, 2010
4. South Side of Chapel
Tenth Ward Chapel, 1909 image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 18, 2007
5. Tenth Ward Chapel, 1909
L.D.S Tenth Ward Square Buildings image. Click for full size.
By Bryan R. Bauer, September 17, 2010
6. L.D.S Tenth Ward Square Buildings
The Chapel is in the background, the Meeting-House in the center, and the School in the foreground facing 800 South.
North Face of Tenth Ward School image. Click for full size.
By Bryan R. Bauer, September 17, 2010
7. North Face of Tenth Ward School
Connection Added Between Meeting-House and School image. Click for full size.
By Bryan R. Bauer, September 17, 2010
8. Connection Added Between Meeting-House and School
Rear of Chapel and Added Vestibule image. Click for full size.
By Bryan R. Bauer, September 17, 2010
9. Rear of Chapel and Added Vestibule
The square apse on the rear of the Chapel was added in 1929 to house an organ. The vestibule which was added to the rear of the Meeting-House is visible at left in the photo.
Vestibule at Rear of Meeting-House image. Click for full size.
By Bryan R. Bauer, September 17, 2010
10. Vestibule at Rear of Meeting-House
Overview from the Southeast image. Click for full size.
By Bryan R. Bauer, September 17, 2010
11. Overview from the Southeast
The Tenth Ward Store and added Proprietor's House stood at the left where there is now a parking lot.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 28, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 3,167 times since then and 69 times this year. Last updated on September 17, 2010, by Bryan R. Bauer of Kearns, Ut 84118. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 28, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia.   4. submitted on September 18, 2010, by Bryan R. Bauer of Kearns, Ut 84118.   5. submitted on June 28, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia.   6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on September 18, 2010, by Bryan R. Bauer of Kearns, Ut 84118. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Oct. 28, 2020