Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Pineville in Bell County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

Wallsend Mine

 
 
Wallsend Mine Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 5, 2010
1. Wallsend Mine Marker
Inscription.  The first to begin operations in Bell County, starting in 1889, with 1500 acres of coal land. Extension of the Louisville and Nashville Railroad to this area in 1888 marked the beginning of a new industrial era. This mine was not a financial success until it was purchased by Wallsend Coal and Coke Co., 1904, a Ky. corporation, but stock held mostly in England.
 
Erected 1969 by Kentucky Historical Society - Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1272.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list.
 
Location. 36° 45.867′ N, 83° 42.352′ W. Marker is in Pineville, Kentucky, in Bell County. Marker is at the intersection of Bob Madon Bypass (U.S. 25E) and Tennessee Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Bob Madon Bypass. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pineville KY 40977, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Joshua Fry Bell (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mountain Gateway (approx. 0.6
Wallsend Mine Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 5, 2010
2. Wallsend Mine Marker
miles away); Cumberland Ford (approx. 0.7 miles away); Middlesboro Meteorite Crater Impact Site (approx. 10.6 miles away); Middlesborough (approx. 10.8 miles away); Colonel Arthur Campbell (approx. 10.9 miles away); Two-Way Traffic (approx. 10.9 miles away); Dirt-and-Log Forts (approx. 10.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pineville.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 17, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 873 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 17, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement
Oct. 30, 2020