Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Conyers in Rockdale County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Conyers Methodist Church

 
 
Conyers Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, September 5, 2010
1. Conyers Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  Conyers Methodist Church was organized in 1852 by Rev. John L. Stewart, Rev. Joel Stansell, Rev. David T. White. The present building, fourth on the site, was dedicated in 1902 by Bishop Warren A. Candler and Rev. M. L. Troutman, pastor. This church has always fostered good citizenship. In 1857 after a political meeting on the grounds a newspaper reported, “Alexander H. Stephens delivered a great speech that day.” A Women’s Foreign Missionary Society was organized in 1878, one of ten required in each conference for charter. Two missionaries ~ Rev. D. L. Anderson to China in 1882 and Miss Layona Glenn to Brazil in 1894 ~ and one minister, Rev. A. Lee Hale, ordained in 1920, have been given by this church.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 122-2.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1852.
 
Location. 33° 40.173′ N, 84° 1.129′ W. Marker is
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
in Conyers, Georgia, in Rockdale County. Marker is on North Main Street, 0 miles north of Glade street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 921 North Main Street, Conyers GA 30012, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rockdale County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Conyers Station (approx. ¼ mile away); Sherman at Conyers (approx. 0.3 miles away); “Fightin’ Joe” Wheeler (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rev. Henry Quigg, D.D. (approx. 0.4 miles away); House of Seven Gables (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hightower Trail (approx. 5.1 miles away); Lynching in America / Mob Violence in Lithonia (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Conyers.
 
Conyers United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, September 5, 2010
2. Conyers United Methodist Church
The marker is at the far left in the photo.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 19, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 737 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 19, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=35928

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from qualified purchases you make on Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 4, 2023