Gate City in Scott County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1938 by Southwesten Virginia, Inc. (Marker Number K-14?.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 36° 38.086′ N, 82° 33.3′ W. Marker is in Gate City, Virginia, in Scott County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 23/58), on the right when traveling west. Located at a pull off at the entrance to Gate City. One of five markers in this cluster. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gate City VA 24251, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Court of Scott County (here, next to this marker); Big Moccasin Gap (a few steps from this marker); Donelson's Indian Line (a few steps from this marker); a different marker First Court of Scott County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Carter Musical Family (approx. 0.4 miles away); John P. McConnell (approx. 0.4 miles away); Moccasin Gap (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named First Court of Scott County (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gate City.
More about this marker. This marker is unnumbered and erected by Southwestern Virginia Incorporated. Dr. McConnell was president of Southwestern Virginia Incorporated. In 1938 official Virginia markers were erected by the Conservation and Development Commission. This looks like but is not an official Virginia marker.
The 1941 edition of State Historical Markers of Virginia was the first edition to show a marker with this title at approximately this location. It was numbered K-14 and it and all subsequent marker guides have shown K-14 here at this location. None have marked K-14 missing, yet the DHR website does not have a photograph of K-14 yet it has photographs of the adjacent markers. Marker K-14 begins "Four miles south was born ..." which leads to speculation that K-14 went missing sometime before 2010 and this marker was put in its place.
Marker K-14 read, "Four miles south was born John Preston McConnell, noted educator. He taught in Milligan College, the University of Virginia and Emory and Henry College. He was president of the Radford State Teacher's College, 1913-1937. Dr. McConnell was president of Southwestern Virginia, Incorporated, and was associated with many cultural agencies. He was active in every phase of educational work, writing several books and many articles." In 1941, K-14 was "two miles south of Gate city" on U.S. 58.
Regarding McConnell's Birthplace. Was his birthplace 8½ miles northwest or 4 miles south?
Also see . . . Wikipedia Entry. "He received both his Bachelor and Master of Arts degrees from Milligan College and pursued his Ph.D. at the University of Virginia. He met and married his wife, Clara Louise Lucas, while at Milligan. Though his beliefs were unfashionable at the time, Dr. McConnell was a strong supporter of the need for quality education for women. His career at Radford was marked by efforts to ensure equal access to information, courses and materials for female students." (Submitted on June 2, 2017.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 2, 2017. It was originally submitted on September 20, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 533 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 20, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.