Milledgeville in Baldwin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church
This Church was organized in 1841 through the efforts of Bishop Stephen Elliott. The church building was completed in 1843 and consecrated Dec. 10. The vestibule, annex and Gothic roof were added later. The handmade chancel furniture was given by an early parishioner, John Wilcox. Rev. Rufus White was probably the first Rector and J.M. Cotting and C.J. Paine the first Wardens. In 1864 the building was damaged when Federal troops dynamited the nearby arsenal. In 1909 a new organ was presented by George W. Perkins of New York who had heard that Sherman’s troops stabled horses in the building and further damaged its contents.
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 005-8.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is December 10, 1794.
Location. 33° 4.717′ N, 83° 13.575′ W. Marker is in Milledgeville, Georgia, in Baldwin County. Marker is at the Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 220 South Wayne Street, Milledgeville GA 31061, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Statehouse Square (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Milledgeville Hotel and Oliver Hardy (about 500 feet away); In Commemoration of Marquis De Lafayette (about 500 feet away); Georgia's Secession Convention (about 600 feet away); State House Square (about 700 feet away); Alexis de Tocqueville (about 700 feet away); Troup-Clark Political Feud (about 700 feet away); Milledgeville Confederate Monument (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milledgeville.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2018. It was originally submitted on September 23, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,054 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 23, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.