Cranbury in Middlesex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
In 1840, a water-powered sawmill was erected next to the gristmill but both were destroyed by fire, rebuilt and razed again by fire. After an 1860 blaze, the gristmill was rebuilt and a miller's house was erected south of the mill, at 6 South Main Street. Serving as Cranbury's Police Station from 1968 to 1985, the miller's house is now maintained by the Cranbury Historical and Preservation Society
This Historic Marker is a gift to the people of Cranbury from the Middlesex County Board of Chosen Freeholders, 2009.
Erected 2009 by Middlesex County Board of Chosen Freeholders.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1737.
Location. 40° 18.541′ N, 74° 31.019′ W. Marker is in Cranbury, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street and Evans Drive, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street. Located at the Cranbury History Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6 South Main Street, Cranbury NJ 08512, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Encampment (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Cranbury Dam (about 300 feet away); The First Presbyterian Church and Cemetery (about 500 feet away); Site of House of Dr. Hezekiah Stites (approx. ¼ mile away); Todd Beamer (approx. 0.3 miles away); Parsonage Barn The Second Presbyterian Church of Cranbury (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hightstown (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cranbury.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 23, 2010, by Deb Hartshorn of Burlington County, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 847 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 23, 2010, by Deb Hartshorn of Burlington County, New Jersey. 4, 5. submitted on September 24, 2010, by Deb Hartshorn of Burlington County, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.