Milledgeville in Baldwin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Governorís Mansion
Completed in 1838, The Executive Mansion was the fifth and last residence occupied by Georgia governors when Milledgeville was the capital of Georgia. The Palladian-inspired structure is considered one of the most perfect examples of Georgian architecture in America. Charles B. Cluskey designed The Mansion and Timothy Porter of Farmington, Connecticut, was the builder.
The ten governors who occupied The Mansion were George R. Gilmer, Charles J. McDonald, George W. Crawford, George W. Towns, Howell Cobb, Herschel V. Johnson, Joseph E. Brown, James Johnson, Charles J. Jenkins and Brigadier-General Thomas H. Ruger. The last held office under orders of General George H. Meade. In November 1864, The Mansion served briefly as General William T. Shermanís headquarters.
In 1868 the capital was moved from Milledgeville to Atlanta. Since 1890 The Mansion has been the home of Georgia College presidents. The two lower floors are open to the public.
Erected 1968 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 005-1B.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these Government & Politics • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1864.
Location. 33° 4.778′ N, 83° 13.91′ W. Marker is in Milledgeville, Georgia, in Baldwin County. Marker is on South Clark Street (U.S. 441) 0 miles north of West Greene Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 South Clark Street, Milledgeville GA 31061, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named The Old Governor's Mansion (a few steps from this marker); Lafayette's Tour (within shouting distance of this marker); State College (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tomlinson Fort House (about 700 feet away); Georgia State Penitentiary (about 700 feet away); Dr. Charles Holmes Herty (about 700 feet away); Birthplace of Charles Holmes Herty (about 700 feet away); De Soto in Georgia (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milledgeville.
Regarding Old Governorís Mansion. John Linley, in his definitive book, Architecture of Middle Georgia The Oconee Area,
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2018. It was originally submitted on September 24, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,736 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 24, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.