Near Fortson in Harris County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Bartlett's Ferry Dam; Antioch Baptist Church
<-- 1 ½ MI. --<
In 1926, Barley’s Ferry Dam (misspelled Bartlett), largest in the middle Chattahoochee group, was built and a hydroelectric plant erected to furnish power to City of Columbus.
Erected 1992 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 072-10.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Churches & Religion • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 32° 40.423′ N, 85° 3.507′ W. Marker is near Fortson, Georgia, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fortson GA 31808, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mountain Hill District Consolidated School (approx. 2˝ miles away); Camp McKenzie (approx. 5.9 miles away); Fortson House (approx. 8˝ miles away); Line 32° 28´ North Latitude (approx. 10 miles away in Alabama); Whitesville (approx. 10.1 miles away); Whitesville Methodist Episcopal Church, South (approx. 10.2 miles away); Sunnyside School, Midway Baptist Church and Midway Cemetery Historic District (approx. 11 miles away); Fairfax First Christian Church (approx. 11.1 miles away in Alabama). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fortson.
More about this marker. This marker replaced an earlier marker of the same title and text, erected by the Georgia Historical Commission at this location.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 25, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 980 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 25, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.