Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Scio in Harrison County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Scio, Ohio

 
 
Scio, Ohio Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jamie Abel, September 25, 2010
1. Scio, Ohio Marker
Inscription.  This village, platted as New Market in 1836 but renamed Scio to correspond with its postal designation, became the site of a noteworthy college in 1867. This college, founded by A. D. Lee, was widely known for its unusual "one-study" curriculum; likewise for its remarkable School of Pharmacy under Prof. J. H. Beal. Scio College merged with Mt. Union of Alliance in 1911. In June, 1898, persevering H. A. Snyder struck oil near Scio, and the once quiet village experienced a tumultuous "boom" until 1901. In that period some 1000 oil wells were drilled in and near the village. Present-day Scio is known nationally as the home of the Scio Pottery Company, Est. 1933, a testimonial to the fortitude and progressive management of its founder, Lewis P. Reese (1893-1952).
 
Erected 1965 by Harrison County Historical Society. (Marker Number 5.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1898.
 
Location. 40° 23.617′ N, 81° 5.093′ W.
Scio, Ohio Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jamie Abel, September 25, 2010
2. Scio, Ohio Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Marker is in Scio, Ohio, in Harrison County. Marker is on Ohio Route 646 0.1 miles south of Ohio Route 151, on the right when traveling south. Marker is situated along the Conotton Creek Trail, a multi-use rail trail which runs for 11 miles through northern Harrison County. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Scio OH 43988, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. New Rumley (approx. 2.6 miles away); Custer Monument Historic Site (approx. 2.8 miles away); The Perrysville Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 5 miles away); Laceyville (approx. 5.7 miles away); The New Hagerstown Academy (approx. 6.3 miles away); Tappan (approx. 7 miles away); The Seven Ranges (approx. 7.3 miles away); Orange Twp. High School (approx. 7.9 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 27, 2010, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,235 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 27, 2010, by Jamie Abel of Westerville, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=36231

Paid Advertisement
May. 13, 2021