Milledgeville in Baldwin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Sacred Heart Catholic Church
This site was previously occupied by the elegant La Fayette Hotel which opened in October, 1824, and had as its guest Gen. Marquis de La Fayette in 1825.
Erected 1961 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 005-26.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1845.
Location. 33° 4.901′ N, 83° 13.539′ W. Marker is in Milledgeville, Georgia, in Baldwin County. Marker is at the intersection of North Jefferson Street and East Hancock Street (Georgia Route 22/24), on the rightTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milledgeville GA 31061, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Fort Defiance (within shouting distance of this marker); Old State Capitol (within shouting distance of this marker); Masonic Temple of Benevolent Lodge No 3, F. & A. M. (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Milledgeville Confederate Monument (about 500 feet away); Troup-Clark Political Feud (about 500 feet away); Georgia's Secession Convention (about 600 feet away); State House Square (about 600 feet away); In Commemoration of Marquis De Lafayette (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milledgeville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,120 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.