Milledgeville in Baldwin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Great Seal of Georgia
When Federal troops entered Milledgeville in November, 1864, Georgia Secretary of State Nathan C. Barnett hid the Great Seal under a house and the legislative minutes in a pig pen 30 yards east of this point. Later they were returned to the Statehouse.
Again in 1868 Governor Charles J. Jenkins (Governor, 1865-1868) removed the Great Seal to thwart state fund payments which had been ordered by the United States military authority which inaugurated Georgia’s carpetbag regime. Federal General George Meade replaced Governor Jenkins with United States General Thomas H. Ruger of Wisconsin (who served only part of the year 1868), the last of the Milledgeville governors. With the return of home rule in 1872 the Great Seal was returned to the new capitol in Atlanta.
Erected 1960 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 005-20.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1864.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milledgeville GA 31061, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Allen Strain (within shouting distance of this marker); Baldwin County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); De Soto in Georgia (within shouting distance of this marker); Birthplace of Charles Holmes Herty (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dr. Charles Holmes Herty (about 300 feet away); Georgia State Penitentiary (about 300 feet away); Masonic Temple of Benevolent Lodge No 3, F. & A. M. (about 600 feet away); Tomlinson Fort House (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milledgeville.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,242 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.