Milledgeville in Baldwin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
This square of 20 acres, set aside for public use in 1803, was used from 1811 until after the War Between the States as the site of the State Penitentiary. The buildings were partly burned during Sherman’s occupation in 1864.
Erected 1961 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 005-29.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 33° 4.865′ N, 83° 13.932′ W. Marker is in Milledgeville, Georgia, in Baldwin County. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milledgeville GA 31061, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Governor’s Mansion (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The March to the Sea (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named The Old Governor's Mansion (about 600 feet away); Georgia State Penitentiary (about 600 feet away); Dr. Charles Holmes Herty (about 700 feet away); Birthplace of Charles Holmes Herty (about 700 feet away); The Allen Strain (approx. 0.2 miles away); Baldwin County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milledgeville.
Regarding State College. The school has been renamed again, to the Georgia College and State University, and is co-educational.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 874 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.