Safford in Graham County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Safford City Hall
The brick walls are 18 inch on the lower level and 13 inch on the top floor. It featured a galvanized roof with iron detailing and a large bell tower. There were two 24 by 35 foot rooms on each floor with a wide hallway running between them. Single seats were provided for 250 students.
In February 1940, Safford passed a $40,000 bond issue to acquire block 42 from Safford Schools. The grounds and building were purchased for $24,000. The balance was for a "new town hall".
H. O. Jaasted, a Tucson architect, completed plans to renovate the building in December 1941. World War II caused the work to be put off "indefinitely". The vacant building housed the Red Cross, Rationing Board, Jr. Chamber of Commerce, the Welfare Office and more. During this period, Safford acquired a number of utility companies and those offices were located in the "Municipal
The City sold the 612 5th Avenue Town Hall and Fire Station to J. Green for $11,000 in July 1951. Plans were made for a new fire station on block 42. In November of 1951, the Fire Department moved into their new facility. The town clerk, city building inspector, police and judge moved into the first floor of the "Municipal Utility" building. The building then became known as the new City Hall.
The exterior remodel was designed and completed by September 1957. H. O. Jested was the architect with Talley and Sons as general contractor. A new flat roof, windows, door repairs, plaster, paint and decorative front pilasters were completed for $18,500.
This structure is not listed on the National Register of Historic Places because of the significant renovations.
Erected by City of Safford.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Notable Buildings. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1898.
Location. 32° 49.968′ N, 109° 42.931′ W. Marker is in Safford, Arizona, in Graham County. Marker is on West Main Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 717 West Main Street, Safford AZ 85546, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Graham County Courthouse (about 400 feet Odd Fellows Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Arizona Bank & Trust Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mormon Pioneers' Arrival in Salt Lake Valley - Sesquicentennial Plaque (approx. Ό mile away); Womans Club of Safford (approx. 0.3 miles away); Spencer W. Kimball Childhood Home (approx. 2.7 miles away); Solomon (approx. 5 miles away); Gila Valley Bank (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Safford.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 28, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,326 times since then and 100 times this year. Last updated on October 1, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 28, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 3, 4. submitted on September 29, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 5. submitted on September 28, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.