Springerville in Apache County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Presbyterian & Catholic Churchs
Begun as missions in the late 1800s, Community Presbyterian Church here, and St. Peter's, a block east, moved into these permanent homes built respectively of brick (1918) & adobe (1928).
Erected 2002 by Round Valley Positive Action Tourism Committee and Springerville-Eagar Chamber of Commerce. (Marker Number 23.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Arizona, Pistols, Plows and Petticoats Historic Driving Tour series list.
Location. 34° 8.069′ N, 109° 17.093′ W. Marker is in Springerville, Arizona, in Apache County. Marker is at the intersection of Apache Street and Supai, on the right when traveling east on Apache Street. Marker is on southeast corner. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Springerville AZ 85938, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Baca Home (a few steps from this marker); Springerville World War I Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Becker's Transcontinental Garage (about 400 feet away); El Rio Theatre (about 400 feet away); Madonna of the Trail (about 500 feet away); Baldonado Home (about 500 James Hale Shooting (about 800 feet away); Arizona Cooperative Mercantile Institution (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Springerville.
More about this marker. The Community Presbyterian Church is Stop #23a and St. Peter's Catholic Church is Stop #23b on the Pistols, Plows and Pettycoats Driving Tour.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 6, 2022. It was originally submitted on September 29, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 933 times since then and 28 times this year. Last updated on October 1, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 29, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.