Milledgeville in Baldwin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
On this corner in 1860 stood the public market where slaves were sold and local sentences were executed. Just east of this point, facing Greene Street, stood the Presbyterian Church. The Methodist Church was located next to it and finally the Baptist Church was situated near the northeast corner of this square. All were small but of classic design. Directly across Greene Street from this point (North) stood Newell’s Hall containing a civic auditorium. This building was used as a Confederate hospital in 1864. Across Wayne Street from this point (West) stood the McComb House, a popular legislator’s hostelry. Henry Clay once spoke from its balcony.
Erected 1960 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 005-19.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic African Americans • Churches & Religion • Government & Politics • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 33° 4.79′ N, 83° 13.594′ W. Marker is in Milledgeville, Georgia, in Baldwin County. Marker is at the intersection of South Wayne Street and East Greene Street, on the right when traveling north on South Wayne Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milledgeville GA 31061, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Milledgeville Hotel and Oliver Hardy (a few steps from this marker); In Commemoration of Marquis De Lafayette (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Georgia's Secession Convention (about 400 feet away); St. Stephen's Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away); Troup-Clark Political Feud (about 500 feet away); Milledgeville Confederate Monument (about 500 feet away); State House Square (about 500 feet away); Alexis de Tocqueville (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milledgeville.
Regarding Statehouse Square.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 2, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 916 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 2, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 3. submitted on January 27, 2011, by Michael Dover of Ellerslie, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.