Milledgeville in Baldwin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old State Capitol
>>>>--- 2 Blocks --->
Boulder in yard marks spot where General LaFayette was entertained at barbecue in March 1825. Duplicate of old Capitol building now houses ancient Georgia Military College.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 005-1A.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 33° 4.885′ N, 83° 13.521′ W. Marker is in Milledgeville, Georgia, in Baldwin County. Marker is at the intersection of South Jefferson Street and East Hancock Street (Georgia Route 22/24), in the Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milledgeville GA 31061, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Fort Defiance (here, next to this marker); Sacred Heart Catholic Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Milledgeville Confederate Monument (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Troup-Clark Political Feud (about 400 feet away); Georgia's Secession Convention (about 500 feet away); Masonic Temple of Benevolent Lodge No 3, F. & A. M. (about 500 feet away); State House Square (about 500 feet away); Alexis de Tocqueville (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milledgeville.
Regarding Old State Capitol. The old State Capitol Building was almost destroyed by a fire in 1941. It was rebuilt in 1943.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 2, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,162 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 2, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.