Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Florham Park in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Columbia School District   No. 5

1866

 
 
Columbia School District   No.5 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, October 2, 2010
1. Columbia School District   No.5 Marker
Inscription.  
Built on site of 1830 wooden school.
Present structure predates Florham
Park borough by 33 years. Classes
held here continuously until 1914.
Morris County Heritage Commission
New Jersey Register of Historic Places
National Register of Historic Places

 
Erected 1979 by Morris County Heritage Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationNotable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey, Morris County Heritage Commission series list.
 
Location. 40° 47.298′ N, 74° 23.372′ W. Marker is in Florham Park, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker is at the intersection of Ridgedale Avenue and Columbia Turnpike (County Route 510), on the right when traveling south on Ridgedale Avenue. Marker is located at the northwest corner of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Florham Park NJ 07932, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hedges – Fish Homestead
Marker in Florham Park image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, October 2, 2010
2. Marker in Florham Park
The old schoolhouse can be seen in this photo behind the marker.
(approx. 1.2 miles away); Old Parsonage (approx. 1.4 miles away); The First School (approx. 1˝ miles away); Hanover Presbyterian Church (approx. 1˝ miles away); Hanover Presbyterian Church & Unknown Continental Soldiers (approx. 1˝ miles away); Halfway House (approx. 1.6 miles away); Miller's Station (approx. 1.9 miles away); Sayre Homestead (approx. 2.2 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Historic Markers/Historic Preservation. Morris County Heritage Commission. (Submitted on October 2, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
 
Little Red School House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, October 2, 2010
3. Little Red School House
Built in 1866 and repositioned in 1978, this building today serves as a museum and meeting hall. It is listed on the National and New Jersey State Registers of Historic Places.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 2, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 578 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 2, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 15, 2020