Jacksonville in Calhoun County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Chief Ladiga Trail - Jacksonville
Jacksonville, first called Drayton, was established in the early 1800’s on the site of Creek Indian Chief Ladiga’s trading post. In 1834 the town was renamed in honor of Andrew Jackson, seventh president of the United States.
As first county seat of Calhoun County, Jacksonville remained the center of local government until 1899 when the county seat moved to Anniston.
The Jacksonville Section of the Chief Ladiga Trail extends eight (8) miles for Warren
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native Americans • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 33° 49.079′ N, 85° 46.389′ W. Marker is in Jacksonville, Alabama, in Calhoun County. Marker can be reached from Mountain Street Northwest west of Woodward Avenue Northwest. Marker is located on the Chief Ladiga Trail next to the Old Jacksonville's Depot of the Selma, Rome and Dalton Railroad. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jacksonville AL 36265, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Depot (a few steps from this marker); Jacksonville, Alabama (a few steps from this marker); Presidents of Jacksonville State (approx. 0.6 miles away); Joseph William Burke (approx. 0.6 miles away); Jacksonville State University (approx. 0.6 miles away); "The Magnolias" (approx. 0.7 miles away); Thomas A. Walker (approx. 0.7 miles away); Doctor Francis' Office (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jacksonville.
Also see . . . Chief Ladiga Trail. (Submitted on October 3, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 3, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,451 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on October 3, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.