Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Osceola in Mississippi County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Coston Building

 
 
Coston Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 31, 2010
1. Coston Building Marker
Inscription.  Built in 1915, the ground floor of this building once housed a barber shop and, later a hardware store. J.T. Coston, a Vanderbilt-educated attorney representing R.E.L. Wilson's farming interests, maintained his offices upstairs and was instrumental in establishing drainage districts in Mississippi County.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
 
Location. 35° 42.17′ N, 89° 58.169′ W. Marker is in Osceola, Arkansas, in Mississippi County. Marker is on West Hale Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 215 West Hale Avenue, Osceola AR 72370, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. U.S. Post Office Building (a few steps from this marker); Patterson Store (a few steps from this marker); Mississippi County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Billy Lee Riley (within shouting distance of this marker); Jimmy "Popeye" Thomas (within shouting distance of this marker); Willie Bloom
Markers in front of the Coston Building and the Old Post Office image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 31, 2010
2. Markers in front of the Coston Building and the Old Post Office
(within shouting distance of this marker); Son Seals (within shouting distance of this marker); Albert King (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Osceola.
 
The Coston Building image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 31, 2010
3. The Coston Building
At the crown of the building "19 J.T. Coston 15" indicating the year of building (1915) and the original owner.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 3, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 679 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 3, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 7, 2020