Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Osceola in Mississippi County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Mississippi County Court House

 
 
Mississippi County Court House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, August 31, 2010
1. Mississippi County Court House Marker
Inscription.  The county seat of Mississippi County, created in 1833, was located at Osceola in 1836. Since about 1900 the county has maintained another court house at Blytheville for the northern district. The county was named for the great river which flows along its eastern border.
 
Erected 1936 by Arkansas Centennial Commission and Arkansas History Commission. (Marker Number J-12.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Arkansas Centennial Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1833.
 
Location. 35° 42.191′ N, 89° 58.177′ W. Marker is in Osceola, Arkansas, in Mississippi County. Marker is at the intersection of West Hale Avenue and North Walnut Street (U.S. 61), on the right when traveling west on West Hale Avenue. Located at the southwest side of the courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Osceola AR 72370, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Flag Poles Erected (a few steps from this marker); William J. Driver (within shouting distance
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of this marker); Mississippi County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Veterans of Mississippi County (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Post Office Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Coston Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Patterson Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Billy Lee Riley (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Osceola.
 
Mississippi County Court House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, August 31, 2010
2. Mississippi County Court House Marker
Courthouse from the West Side image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, August 31, 2010
3. Courthouse from the West Side
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 14, 2023. It was originally submitted on October 4, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 817 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 4, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=36489

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 5, 2024