“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Winthrop in Okanogan County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)


Winthrop Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Royal, September 15, 2010
1. Winthrop Marker
Inscription.  Here at the forks of the rushing Methow, Boston-bred Guy Waring founded Winthrop in 1891. Trappers, prospectors and homesteaders tramped into his frontier store. In '95 Colonel Thomas Hart came through to carve a narrow-gauge wagon road across the Cascades, linking this valley with the Slate Creek Mining District. Meanwhile Waring, who hated liquor, opened his Duck Brand Saloon to keep worse ones out. Anyone who started getting drunk was given the boot -- A policy which must have greatly surprised many patrons. Waring's Harvard classmate, Owen Wister, spent his honeymoon here in 1898. Four years later Wister completed "The Virginian" and the first western novel burst upon the unsuspecting nation. Winthrop's first postmaster named the town after Theodore Winthrop, a young Yale graduate who toured the northwest in 1853.

To see Guy Waring's original 1897 home and Shafer Museum's historical village go one block up the hill and two blocks to the right.
Erected by Okanogan County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music
Winthrop Marker setting image. Click for full size.
By Bill Royal, September 15, 2010
2. Winthrop Marker setting
ExplorationSettlements & Settlers.
Location. 48° 28.667′ N, 120° 11.117′ W. Marker is in Winthrop, Washington, in Okanogan County. Marker is at the intersection of Riverside Avenue and Bridge Street on Riverside Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winthrop WA 98862, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Also see . . .  Winthrop, Washington. In 1883 the lure of gold brought the first permanent white settlers, three of which were James Ramsey, Ben Pearrygin and Guy Waring. Waring stopped at the forks of the Chewuch and Methow rivers in 1891 where he and his family settled into the "Castle" (now the Shafer Museum). (Submitted on October 11, 2010.) 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 4, 2010, by Bill Royal of Sun City Ctr, Florida. This page has been viewed 989 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 4, 2010, by Bill Royal of Sun City Ctr, Florida. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Picture of Guy Waring's original 1897 home. • Pictures of Shafer Museum Historic Village. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 5, 2020