Ozark in Dale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Merrick's - Woodshop - Ozark / Ozark
In the 1820's pioneers, including John Merrick, began settling in vicinity of present-day Ozark, first called "Merrick's". Dale County formed December 22, 1824. In the 1830's wooden stores and cotton gin were built about one mile north of present courthouse. In 1841 the west half of Dale County became Coffee County. First post office, June 7, 1843, called "Woodshop". In 1859 postmaster Elijah T. Matthews petitioned for the name "Ozark" after Indians who inhabited the mountains of Arkansas and Missouri.
Side B - Fourth County Seat of Dale County
In 1868, Southern one third of Dale County became part of Geneva County. In 1869 courthouse in Newton burned; an election on January 17, 1870, selected Ozark as county seat. A "New Ozark" was surveyed on 70 acres centered on courthouse. The Southern Star and other businesses moved from Newton to Ozark in 1870. Courthouses on this site were built in 1870, 1885 (replacing one which burned in 1884), 1901, and present building, 1968.
Erected 1979 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Dale County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 31° 27.516′ N, 85° 38.418′ W. Marker is in Ozark, Alabama, in Dale County. Marker is on South Union Avenue (Alabama Route 123) north of Reynolds Street, on the left when traveling north. Marker is on east lawn of Dale County courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ozark AL 36360, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Historic Bell (a few steps from this marker); Early Ozark/Ozark's Role in the Origin of Fort Rucker (within shouting distance of this marker); Dale Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Ozark Baptist Church/Church Pastors (approx. 0.2 miles away); The J.D. Holman House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dowling - Steagall House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Atlantic Coast Line Depot (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ozark.
1. additional markings
Marker has additional markings indicating 'J.J. Jaxon Co. - Eufaula, AL.'
— Submitted October 4, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 4, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 954 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 4, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.