Near Brundidge in Pike County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Philadelphia Presbyterian Church
First Presbyterian Church in Pike County
Organized largely by members of Beaver Creek Presbyterian Church near Camden, South Carolina.
They petitioned Presbytery of South Alabama Oct. 18, 1839 and were officially established as a church April 3, 1840.
Church was dissolved in April 1917.
(see other side for officers)
(history on other side)
Officers during the life of church: 1840-1917
ELDERS - R.R., S.R., J.W., J.A. McLure; J.M. Thompson; E. Ruffin; S. Smyth; B.H. Boyd; J.A. Ramsay; G.C. Barnette; J.D. and Dr. J.A. McEachern.
DEACONS - John and Dr. J.A. McEachern, John W., Thomas C., Henry M., Richard U. McLure; W.F. Ferrell; W.A.E. Helms.
MINISTERS - D.S. McCormick; A.M. Mooney; M.A. Patterson; A. McMillan; J.M. Peu; G.W. Butler; F.M. McMurry; J. McKee; R.H. Hall; G.R. Foster; R. Kirkpatrick; W.H. White and J.C. Sturgeon.
Erected 1963 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brundidge AL 36010, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. City of Brundidge and the Bass House / Brundidge's Peanut Butter Heritage (approx. 1.3 miles away); "Lest We Forget" (approx. 1.3 miles away); Salem Baptist Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Green Davis Tailgate Terrace (approx. 9 miles away); Riddle-Pace Field (approx. 9 miles away); “The Thinker” (approx. 9 miles away); Pace Hall (approx. 9.1 miles away); Shackelford Hall (approx. 9.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brundidge.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 4, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 678 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 4, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.