Ozark in Dale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
In memory of the Dale County Confederate soldiers, who fought in the War Between the States from 1861 to '65.
These were men who, by the simple manhood of their lives, by their strict adherence to the principles of right, by their sublime courage and unspeakable sacrifices, even to the heroism of death, have preserved for us, through the gloom of defeat, a priceless heritage of honor.
Erected by Stonewall Jackson Chapter, U.D.C. No. 667. A.D. 1910
Erected 1910 by Stonewall Jackson Chapter, U.D.C. No. 667.
Topics and series. This historical marker memorial is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1861.
Location. 31° 27.507′ N, 85° 38.418′ W. Marker is in Ozark, Alabama, in Dale County. Marker is at the intersection of South Union Avenue (Alabama Route 123) and West Reynolds Street, on the right when Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ozark AL 36360, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Merrick's - Woodshop - Ozark / Ozark (a few steps from this marker); Early Ozark/Ozark's Role in the Origin of Fort Rucker (a few steps from this marker); Historic Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); Dale Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Ozark Baptist Church/Church Pastors (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); The J.D. Holman House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dowling - Steagall House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Atlantic Coast Line Depot (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ozark.
Regarding Confederate Memorial. The monument was purchased by the Daughters of the Confederacy in 1910, and was originally located in the middle of the street next to the courthouse. It was moved onto the lawn in 1956.
A Confederate soldier stands at rest on top on a tall granite base. He wears a uniform which includes a hat, and carries a canteen, backpack,and bedroll. He holds the barrel of a rifle with both hands, the butt resting in front of his proper right foot. There is a relief of a flag on the front of the base.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 5, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,567 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on October 5, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.