Montgomery in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce
The Forefront of Montgomery's Future
The first American Chamber of Commerce was organized in New York City in 1770. The Montgomery Chamber was organized in 1873. Thomas Joseph was its first President. The Alabama State Journal stated at its founding, "Montgomery ought to have a Chamber of Commerce. Located in the midst of one of the richest agricultural districts in the South, the political center of the commonwealth, and the commercial center of a large section which obtain here their supplies, the Chamber of Commerce would seem to be demanded by the necessities of our position." Initially, it occupied the front rooms of the First National Bank Building.
The Chamber changed names several times, but stayed in the lead for solid progress. Initially, it encouraged European immigrants to move south, promoted development of the Alabama River and the railroads, and had Commerce Street paved. It brought the Wright Brothers flying school here in 1910 and was key to bringing military bases, the Veterans Hospital, trade schools, educational institutions, industrial parks, and tourism to the area. It is the linchpin of business and community
Erected 1996 by The Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce / Historical Preservation and Promotion Foundation / Alabama Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1770.
Location. 32° 22.688′ N, 86° 18.617′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Commerce Street south of Bibb Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 41 Commerce Street, Montgomery AL 36104, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Josiah Morris (within shouting distance of this marker); Montgomery’s Slave Markets / First Emancipation Observance - 1866 (within shouting distance of this marker); Decorative Lions Heads (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The First White House of the Confederacy (about 400 feet away); The First Offices of the Confederate Government (about 400 feet away); Here Stood Mrs. Rosa Parks (about 400 feet away); City of Montgomery / Court Square (about 400 feet away); Naming the City of Montgomery / Brigadier General Richard Montgomery (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montgomery.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 5, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 755 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 5, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.