Springerville in Apache County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Brawley Boarding House
Erected 2002 by Round Valley Positive Action Tourism Committee and Springerville-Eagar Chamber of Commerce. (Marker Number 4.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Arizona, Pistols, Plows and Petticoats Historic Driving Tour series list.
Location. 34° 7.095′ N, 109° 17.362′ W. Marker is in Springerville, Arizona, in Apache County. Marker is at the intersection of East 4th Avenue and North Eagar Street, on the left when traveling west on East 4th Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 106 East 4th Avenue, Springerville AZ 85938, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William LeSueur Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Harry Colter Home (approx. ¼ mile away); Joseph Udall Barn (approx. half a mile away); Eagar Elementary School (approx. ¾ mile away); Slaughter Family Cemetary (approx. 0.8 miles away); Oscar Jepson Home (approx. 0.9 miles away); White Mountain Historical Park (approx. 0.9 miles away); White Mountain Hospital (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Springerville.
More about this marker. This is Marker Stop #4 on the Pistols, Plows and Petticoats Historic Driving Tour.
Regarding Brawley Boarding House. H.T. Brawley came to Edgar in 1921 to teach at the new Round Valley High School. Students came from Eagar, Springerville, Greer, Alpine and Nutrioso, New Mexico. Brawley taught Science and Mathematics and in the fall of 1923 became the principal.
Classes were first held in private homes and the Edgar Ward Chapel for three years and then in 1924 moved to a new site which was located at the current high school site.
Teachers were always single and boarded with families or lived at the Apache Chief Hotel in Springerville. In 1925 Brawley began his two story frame boardinghouse near the high school so that teachers new to the community would have a more homelike place to room close to the campus. He never finished the
He sold it to M.J. Wiltbank in 1935 for $3,000, but no money ever changed hands. The sum was paid with 15 cows and lumber that Wiltbank and his son hauled from the mountain with horses and had sawn at the Fred Bunk Sawmill in Greer.
Source: The Pistols, Plows and Petticoats Historic Driving Tour Brochure.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 5, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 900 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 5, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.