Albany in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Mohawk and Hudson
Chartered in this Country,
1826, Began its Run Albany
Erected 1940 by New York State Education Department.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 42° 39.987′ N, 73° 47.498′ W. Marker was in Albany, New York, in Albany County. Marker was at the intersection of Western Ave and Madison Ave., on the right when traveling east on Western Ave. Marker is posted beside the bus shelter on a wedge of land between the converging roadways of Western Ave. and Madison Ave, just east of S. Allen St. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Albany NY 12203, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Swinburne Park (approx. 0.7 miles away); "The Elms" (approx. 0.9 miles away); Site of New York Central Railroad Erector Shop (approx. 1.1 miles away); Boats and Music (approx. 1.2 miles away); Washington Park (approx. 1.3 miles away); Origins of the Albany Tulip Festival (approx. 1.4 miles away); Albany Soldiers and Sailors Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); Parading and Promenading (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albany.
More about this marker. Appears marker has been removed.
Regarding First Railroad. On December 28, 1825, George William Featherstonhaugh ran a newspaper notice announcing the formation of the Mohawk & Hudson Rail Road Company. The Mohawk & Hudson Railroad became the first chartered railroad in New York State on April 17, 1826. Construction began in August 1830 and the railroad opened September 24, 1831, on a 16-mile route between Albany and Schenectady through the Pine Bush region that separates both cities. The DeWitt Clinton locomotive made its first test run on July 2nd that year. The railroad was seen as a way to reduce the amount of time it took for passengers to travel from Albany to Schenectady on the Erie Canal, which was the leading transportation network of the time, due to the 22 locks between the two cities. On April 19, 1847, the name Mohawk and Hudson was changed to the Albany & Schenectady
Credits. This page was last revised on March 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 6, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 1,292 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 6, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 2. submitted on May 10, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 3. submitted on October 6, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 4. submitted on May 10, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 5. submitted on April 27, 2017, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 6. submitted on December 20, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. 7. submitted on March 17, 2020, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.