Springerville in Apache County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Arizona Cooperative Mercantile Institution
Erected 2002 by Round Valley Positive Action Tourism Committee and Springerville-Eagar Chamber of Commerce. (Marker Number 25.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Arizona, Pistols, Plows and Petticoats Historic Driving Tour series list.
Location. 34° 7.97′ N, 109° 16.998′ W. Marker is in Springerville, Arizona, in Apache County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and South Papago Street, on the right when traveling east on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Springerville AZ 85938, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Becker's Transcontinental Garage (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Springerville Schoolhouse (about 500 feet away); Madonna of the TrailPresbyterian & Catholic Churchs (about 800 feet away); Baca Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); James Hale Shooting (approx. 0.2 miles away); El Rio Theatre (approx. 0.2 miles away); White Mountain Hospital (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Springerville.
More about this marker. This is Marker Stop #25 on the Pistols, Plows and Petticoats Historic Driving Tour.
Regarding Arizona Cooperative Mercantile Institution. Organized with the stated purpose of “advancing the self sufficiency and strength” of the Mormon colony along the Little Colorado River, the Arizona Cooperative Mercantile Institution (ACMI) was established in the early 1880’s with a wholesale outlet in Holbrook and retail branches throughout the colony.
William F. LsSueur came to Springerville in 1891 to manage the Round Valley branch. In 1902 this two-story adobe building with a prefabricated, cast-iron front manufactured by Meskar Brothers in St. Louis and shipped in pieces by rail to Holbrook, and then by horse and wagon to Round Valley, was built. It had hardwood floors and a second story cashier’s cage. There was a livery stable in the back and a large barn and granary.
In 1917 the store was sold to W.O. Speck and the stock was transferred to its branch in Eagar, Speck ran the store as the Springerville Mercantile Company until 1929, when he sold it to C. Samuel Love who ran it as the Springerville Cash Store.
Since then, it changed hands several times, operating under different names,
Source: The Pistols, Plows and Petticoats Historic Driving Tour Brochure.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 6, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,205 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 6, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.