Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
occupied this site
The first legislature
November 26, 1838
Erected 1927 by the John Bell Chapter D.A.R.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list.
Location. 43° 4.547′ N, 89° 22.99′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of East Washington Avenue and South Pinckney Street, on the right when traveling west on East Washington Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: One South Pinckney Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Outdoor markets are a Madison tradition (a few steps from this marker); Olson and Veerhusen Building / Hobbins Block (a few steps from this marker); American Exchange Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Capitol Square has long been the heart of the city Maeder Building / Ellsworth Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Winterbotham Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Belmont Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Draper Brothers Block (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding American House. According to David Mollenhoff in the second edition of Madison, A History of the Formative Years, pp. 32-33, "In November 1838, legislators and state officials converged on Madison for the first session ever held in the new capital. ... When they arrived in Madison, they found about thirty modest frame and log buildings on a stump-strewn hillside... Among these buildings were three specifically built for legislators. The Peck Tavern Stand [see related markers], now owned by the Reams and renamed the Madison House, had two rooms to rent. The Madison Hotel [see related markers], a cheap frame structure had two more rooms to rent. The third, the brand new two-and-one-half-story American House, had eight rooms and an attic. ... At the American House, the fanciest hotel in town, guests were offered seven-by-eight
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. This is a list of markers for Madison's earliest buildings.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 6, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 618 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 7, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.