Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Halls in Lauderdale County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Key Corner

 
 
Key Corner Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 1, 2010
1. Key Corner Marker
Inscription.  About 4 miles west on Forked Deer River, Henry Rutherford, North Carolina surveyor, chose a spot as the point of origin for his surveys of the Western District in 1785. To identify the "key corner" he carved his initials and surveyor's mark on a leaning sycamore tree there. He returned in 1819 and established a settlement also called Key Corner. He died in 1847 and is buried in the family burial plot east of that point.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4E 14.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list.
 
Location. 35° 55.046′ N, 89° 25.118′ W. Marker is near Halls, Tennessee, in Lauderdale County. Marker is at the intersection of Jefferson Davis Highway (U.S. 51) and Mill Creek Road, on the right when traveling south on Jefferson Davis Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Halls TN 38040, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow
Key Corner Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 1, 2010
2. Key Corner Marker
flies. Dyersburg Army Airfield (approx. 1.1 miles away); Dyer County / Lauderdale County (approx. 2.1 miles away); Mrs. Rosa M. Parks (approx. 6.3 miles away); William Nash (approx. 6.3 miles away); Dyer County in the War (approx. 8.2 miles away); Otho French Strahl (approx. 8.2 miles away); Thomas Conyers, Sr. (approx. 9.7 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 9, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 673 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 9, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 13, 2020