Lakeside in Navajo County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Early sheepmen first used this country for grazing their flocks until the financial crisis of 1905, which made sheep practically worthless. This, along with the drought that followed, forced the sheepmen to sell out to the Mormons.
In 1905 Niels Hansen purchased property and Adair Spring from Will Amos. Lakeside was settled near the spring, the source of water, in 1906. The first postmaster was John Lazelle Fish. In the fall of 1906, the first school was held in Niels Hansen's home and bunkhouse, later in the Rhoton Store.
On June 24, 1912, Lakeside Ward of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized with Alof Pratt Larson as Bishop.
Lumbering, with its accompanying five sawmills, was important to the economic life of this town.
Erected 1987 by White Mountain Camp - Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 436.)
Topics and series.Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers series list.
Location. 34° 9.071′ N, 109° 59.38′ W. Marker is in Lakeside, Arizona, in Navajo County. Marker is at the intersection of Larson Road and Heritage Lane, on the right when traveling south on Larson Road. The marker is located on soutwest corner. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lakeside AZ 85929, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rodeo-Chediski Fire (approx. one mile away); Showlow Valley Settlement (approx. 7.4 miles away); "show low and you win the ranch". (approx. 7˝ miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 9, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 764 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 9, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.