New Vernon in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Tramp House
Moved to this site in 1988 by the Harding Township Historical Society, the structure originally stood on land now in the Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge and formerly the farm of Joseph Hilbert, overseer of the poor for Passaic Township.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 40° 44.614′ N, 74° 29.662′ W. Marker is in New Vernon, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker is at the intersection of Village Road and Millbrook Road, on the right when traveling east on Village Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14 Village Road, New Vernon NJ 07976, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. New Vernon Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); Harding Township 9-11 Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Washington’s Route from Princeton to Morristown Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge (approx. one mile away); Frelinghuysen Fields (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Silver Brook Gateway (approx. 1½ miles away); Mt. Kemble-Glen Alpin (approx. 1.8 miles away); Dickson's Mill Pond (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Vernon.
More about this marker. The house and marker are located behind the Tunis-Ellicks House & Museum
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 11, 2010, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,400 times since then and 103 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 11, 2010, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.