Mayville in Dodge County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Hollenstein Wagon and Carriage Factory
In 1876, John Hollenstein, Sr., purchased a portion of this property, built the front section of the house and started his wagon and carriage factory named John Hollenstein Mfg.,
In 1888, he began the first of several additions to the factory and the house. He operated the business until 1908. His son, John, Jr., bought the business which he operated until his retirement in 1941.
Erected by Mayville Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1842.
Location. 43° 29.757′ N, 88° 32.542′ W. Marker is in Mayville, Wisconsin, in Dodge County. Marker is at the intersection of North German Street and East Bridge Street (County Road Y), on the right when travelingTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 North German Street, Mayville WI 53050, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Mayville White Limestone School Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Soldiers and Sailors Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); Berthold "Pete" Husting (approx. ¼ mile away); Wisconsin’s First Iron Smelter (approx. ¾ mile away); Solomon Juneau House (approx. 4.8 miles away); War Memorial (approx. 6.6 miles away); World War II (approx. 7.2 miles away); Dodge County Memorial Park (approx. 9.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mayville.
Also see . . . Carriage Factory History. The Mayville Historical Society history of the carriage factory. Site also has links to additional historical information and photos. (Submitted on October 19, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 13, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,005 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 13, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.