Near Elkhart in Anderson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Pilgrim Predestinarian Regular Baptist Church
by Daniel Parker
Members moved to Texas
First meeting in
Stephen F. Austin's Colony
January 20, 1834
Log church built December, 1839
Old graveyard adjoins.
Present church fourth
on the same site
Continuous worship since 1834
Daniel Parker, Pastor 1833 - 1844
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 8799.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1885.
Location. 31° 37.204′ N, 95° 35.265′ W. Marker is near Elkhart, Texas, in Anderson County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 294 and Farm to Market Road 319, on the right when traveling east on State Highway 294. Half mile west of Elkhart. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elkhart TX 75839, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Henry High School (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Elkhart First United Methodist Church Of Elkhart (approx. 0.7 miles away); Fort Houston Cemetery (approx. 8.2 miles away); Texas State Railroad (approx. 8.3 miles away); Swanson Cemetery (approx. 8.3 miles away); Site of Old Magnolia (approx. 9 miles away); Fort Houston (approx. 9.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elkhart.
Also see . . . Pilgrim Predestinarian Regular Baptist Church. "The Handbook of Texas" article on the history of the church. (Submitted on October 20, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 13, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 6,864 times since then and 170 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 13, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of current church building. • Photo of adjoining cemetery. • Can you help?