Glen Rock in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Red Brick Schoolhouse
Schoolhouse was the
original Ridgewood Grove
School Number 44. Built
in 1846 it was used
until 1894 by Ridgewood
Township. In 1894 the
proposed closing of this
school resulted in the
incorporation of the
Borough of Glen Rock.
It served this area as a
school until March 8, 1900.
Sponsored by Students of
Glen Rock Junior High School
in the Tercentenary year of 1964
Erected 1964 by Bergen County Historical Society. (Marker Number 15.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society series list.
Location. 40° 57.741′ N, 74° 7.087′ W. Marker is in Glen Rock, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is at the intersection of Rock Road and Ackerman Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Rock Road. Marker is located at the northwest corner of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Glen Rock NJ 07452, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Hopper Family Burying Ground (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hopper House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hopper Homestead (approx. 0.3 miles away); Glen Rock Honored Heroes (approx. half a mile away); Glen Rock (approx. 0.9 miles away); Glen Rock Honor Roll (approx. 0.9 miles away); Van Dien House (approx. one mile away); Ridgewood 9-11 Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glen Rock.
Also see . . . Bergen County Historical Society. (Submitted on October 16, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
1. School #44
The historical marker lists an incorrect date for the construction of the original schoolhouse. The small brick schoolhouse (now part of a private home) was built around 1866, according to the Bergen County Historical Sites Survey (1983).
— Submitted December 3, 2010, by Susan Tryforos of Glen Rock, New Jersey.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 16, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,168 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 16, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.