Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Fredericksburg in Spotsylvania County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Lives Transformed

The Battle of Chancellorsville

 

— Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park —

 
Lives Transformed Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, November 10, 2007
1. Lives Transformed Marker
Inscription.  In 1860, Oscar Bullock and his wife, Catharine, lived in a modest two-and-one-half-story white frame house on this site. With them lived their two infant children and Catharine's 16-year-old brother, David Kyle (who would serve as a guide to Stonewall Jackson during the Battle of Chancellorsville). A family of five slaves lived in a house nearby. They worked for the Bullocks, tilling the fields, gathering crops, and tending the livestock.

The war brought devastation to the Bullocks - as it did most local civilians. During the Battle of Chancellorsville, Union soldiers tore down the house, destroying fencing, and stole livestock. They freed the Bullock's slaves and scarred their fields with earthworks and graves. Oscar Bullock died fighting for the Confederacy in 1864. He left behind a bereaved wife, fatherless children, and virtually no possessions.
 
Erected by National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
 
Location. 38° 19.012′ N, 77° 
Lives Transformed Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, November 10, 2007
2. Lives Transformed Marker
Four wooden posts mark the location of the Bullock House.
Click or scan to see
this page online
38.248′ W. Marker is near Fredericksburg, Virginia, in Spotsylvania County. Marker is at the intersection of Elys Ford Road (County Route 610) and Bullock Road, on the right when traveling south on Elys Ford Road. Located at the Bullock House Site, stop two of the driving tour of Chancellorsville Battlefield. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9024 Elys Ford Rd, Fredericksburg VA 22407, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Union Lifeline (within shouting distance of this marker); Hooker's Final Bastion (within shouting distance of this marker); Apex of Hooker’s Last Line (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chancellorsville Campaign (approx. 0.4 miles away); Union Line Contained Along Mineral Springs Road (approx. 0.4 miles away); Union Counterattack (approx. 0.4 miles away); Stone's Reconnaissance (approx. 0.4 miles away); Flanking of Hays' Brigade (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fredericksburg.
 
More about this marker. The background of the marker shows "Union commander Joe Hooker," leading "a mounted entourage past the Bullock House in this illustration, based on a soldier's sketch. The Union commander received medical treatment at the house on May 3 after his injury at the Chancellor house, one mile to your left."
 
Regarding Lives Transformed. This is one of several markers for the Battle of Chancellorsville at the Bullock House Site, at the apex of Hooker's final line. See the Bullock House Site Virtual Tour by Markers in the links section for a listing of related markers on the tour.
 
Also see . . .
1. Battle of Chancellorsville. National Park Service site. (Submitted on November 19, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Bullock House Site image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, November 10, 2007
3. Bullock House Site
Another view of the house site.
 

2. Bullock House Site Virtual Tour by Markers. The Bullock House Site portion of the battlefield (stop two on the driving tour of the battlefield) includes markers at the intersection of Bullock and Ely's Ford Roads. The position marked the apex of Hooker's final line. (Submitted on December 8, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 19, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,191 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 19, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=3697

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 15, 2022