Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Maryville in Blount County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Maryville College

 
 
Maryville College Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Gillard, August 13, 2010
1. Maryville College Marker
Inscription.  Founded in 1819 by the Synod of Tennessee, Presbyterian Church in the USA, as The Southern and Western Theological Seminary, its first president was Rev. Isaac Anderson, D.D. Its original buildings were on Broadway at College Street. Receiving its present name in 1842, it was moved to its present location in 1871.
 
Erected by TN Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1E 42.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list.
 
Location. 35° 45.31′ N, 83° 57.77′ W. Marker is in Maryville, Tennessee, in Blount County. Marker is on E. Lamar Alexander Pkwy (Route 321), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Maryville TN 37804, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Craig's Fort (approx. 0.3 miles away); Blount County War Dead Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Craig Fort - 1785 (approx. 0.4 miles away); “Battle of the Bulge” World War II Veterans of Blount County
Maryville College Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Gillard, August 13, 2010
2. Maryville College Marker
(approx. 0.4 miles away); General Sam Houston (approx. 0.4 miles away); Louis Philippe's Visit (approx. half a mile away); Where Houston Enlisted (approx. half a mile away); New Providence Church (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Maryville.
 
Also see . . .  Maryville College. (Submitted on October 17, 2010, by Tom Gillard of Tullahoma, Tennessee.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 17, 2010, by Tom Gillard of Tullahoma, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 881 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 17, 2010, by Tom Gillard of Tullahoma, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 7, 2020