Athens in Henderson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
(Dec. 6, 1805 - May 30, 1864)
Richardson built a home (1 mi NE) and became a successful planter. His "Three Circles" cattle brand was recorded in 1855. He was appointed to lay out one of the first roads between Athens and Kaufman. Highway 175 follows much of his original route. He and his brothers helped found the First Baptist Church in Athens.
The slaves he brought to Texas were Dinah, Charles, Gin, Rachel, Washington, Henry, Tom, Harrison, Kate, Easter, Til, Carolina, Jane, Sam, Congo, Marion, Mimm, and Jube. All took the Richardson name, and most stayed on with the family after being freed. Later they and their descendants established the Sand Flat community (1 mi.
William Richardson is buried in the family cemetery (1 mi. NE) along with his wife, two sons, and two grandchildren. Some of the slaves are buried there also.
Erected 1984 by Texas State Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10376.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 15.883′ N, 95° 56.091′ W. Marker is in Athens, Texas, in Henderson County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 175 and Richardson Road, on the right when traveling west on State Highway 175. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Athens TX 75751, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Athens Review (approx. 6.3 miles away); Joseph Thomas La Rue (approx. 6.4 miles away); Stella E. Parsons La Rue (approx. 6.4 miles away); Clinton Williams Murchison, Sr. (approx. 6.4 miles away); Sid Williams Richardson (approx. 6.4 miles away); Dulcinea Ann Holland Thompson Avriett (approx. 6.4 miles away); Athens Cemetery (approx. 6˝ miles away); John Matthews McDonald (approx. 6˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 18, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,981 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 18, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.