The TISCO Complex
Taylor Steelworkers Historical Greenway
— A 7 Mile Greenway Trail Through the Borough of High Bridge Historic Properties —
The 28.3 acre TISCO Complex was once part of a 10,000 acre parcel of land owned by wealthy Philadelphia Investors William Allen and Joseph Turner who founded the Union Iron Works here in 1742. The Iron Works produced farm implements, tools and cannon balls for Washington's Army during Colonial times. In the recent past, this property and structures were once part of the Taylor Wharton Iron and Steel Company, which is the nation's oldest continuously operating foundry in the country, and America's second oldest business. The property is now part of the borough's permanent open spaces. The site contains 2 structures, including an early industrial structure known as Shop E and the historic stone TISCO Office Building. The site has historically always been associated with iron production from the Union Iron Works in 1742 through the incorporation of the Taylor Wharton Iron and Steel Company that ceased operations in 1972. Today this property stands as a testament to the birth of our nation with the forging of steel production and the ingenuity of American Industry.
The TISCO Office building dates to around 1725, and pre-dates the incorporation of the Union Iron Works. The structure had always housed the general office of the steel companies and contained the offices of the presidents William and Allen in 1742 through George R. Hanks in 1972. The structure was also used as a company general store and an infirmary. The original form was a center hall colonial type structure that was expanded in both the 19th and 20th centuries. The first addition in the 1890's was a wing to the right side of the structure and a rear extension. The second renovation in the late 1920's included a third floor and expansion to the rear wing. This alteration gave the structure American Renaissance style architecture. The last alteration took place in the late 1930's with the removal of the front porch and addition of the entranceway fanlight arches and memorial entablature above the doorway.
With the closing of Taylor Wharton in 1972, the structure remained intact but vacant for decades. In 2007, the Union Forge Heritage Association launched a public awareness campaign to save the historic structure and the start of restoration efforts. In 2007 it was placed on Preservation NJ's top 10 list of endangered sites, and is a state and nationally recognized historic structure.
Grinding Shop E is a classic example of American Industrial
Erected by The Union Forge Heritage Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 40° 40.149′ N, 74° 53.316′ W. Marker is in High Bridge, New Jersey, in Hunterdon County. Marker can be reached from Washington Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located behind Union Forge Park. Related marker #36997 is visible from Washington Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: High Bridge NJ 08829, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Union Forge Bridge (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Union Forge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lake Solitude and Taylor Falls (approx. 0.2 miles away); Solitude House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Solitude (approx. 0.2 Taylor Wharton Iron and Steel Company (approx. 0.3 miles away); Taylor Iron and Steel Company (approx. 0.3 miles away); T.I.S.C.O. Complex (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in High Bridge.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 18, 2010, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. This page has been viewed 894 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 18, 2010, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.