Ward's Island in Toronto, Ontario — Central Canada (North America)
The Royal Canadian Yacht Club
The province's first sailing association, the Toronto Boat Club, was formed in 1852 and two years later became the Royal Canadian Yacht Club. Dedicated to the promotion of yachting and naval interests, it initiated competitions which stimulated widespread interest in sailing and yacht design, and in 1860 instituted the Prince of Wales Cup, freshwater racing's oldest trophy. The Club was housed on Toronto's waterfront until 1881 when it moved to Toronto Island. This moved facilitated the club's continued growth. The R.C.Y.C. figured prominently in the formation of the Lake Yacht Racing Association (1884) for the establishment of uniform rules. The achievements of numerous members in competitive yacht racing have brought the Royal Canadian Yacht Club international recognition.
Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Culture and Recreation
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Sports. A significant historical year for this entry is 1852.
Location. 43° 37.289′ N, 79° 21.943′ W. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Toronto ON M5J 1X8, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Andrew By-The-Lake (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Lake Light (approx. 1.8 kilometers away); The Royal York Hotel (approx. 3 kilometers away); The Bishop’s Palace 1818 (approx. 3 kilometers away); 25 Years of Blue Jays Baseball (approx. 3 kilometers away); Little Norway (approx. 3.1 kilometers away); Isabella Valancy Crawford (approx. 3.1 kilometers away); Hotel Victoria (approx. 3.1 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toronto.
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on a pole where Cibola Avenue and Chippewa Bridge Avenue (both more paths than roads, actually) intersect, at the foot of the bridge.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 24, 2022. It was originally submitted on October 19, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. This page has been viewed 934 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 19, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.